How do metered features work?
Metered features are priced based on your usage. When a site’s usage of a metered feature reaches the limit of the current plan, it triggers an automatic upgrade to Pro, or purchase of an extra usage package if the site is already on the Pro plan for that feature.
What’s an “extra usage package”?
Currently available for Forms and Functions, we add extra usage packages to a site when metered feature usage goes above the Pro tier limit. They increase your allowance for all metered features in the plan — including ones that are still below their limit. Multiple packages can be added in a single billing period as package limits are reached. They are one-time purchases, meaning they will not be prorated, and will not be added in the next billing period unless usage in that month requires it.
When will I be charged?
Netlify billing runs on a 30-day cycle which starts on the first day you add a paid plan or start using a metered feature. When you add new plans or trigger automatic upgrades, these charges will be added to the running balance for the current billing cycle. All charges on your account are compiled at the end of the billing cycle and charged to your designated credit card in a single automatic payment.
Are charges prorated?
We prorate Pro plan fees based on the number of days on the plan in the current billing cycle. This can happen in the following situations:
- Usage-triggered automatic upgrade from Free to Pro
- Manual upgrade from Free to Pro
- Manual downgrade from Pro to Free
Note that when usage triggers an upgrade to Pro, the site will remain on the Pro plan at the start the billing cycle. Extra usage packages are one-time purchases and are not prorated.
Why can’t I downgrade my plan?
You cannot downgrade to a free plan if your current usage is above free plan limits. If you wait until the start of the next billing cycle, you can downgrade your plan before usage reaches the free limit. Remember that if site usage does pass the limit, it will automatically upgrade back to Pro.
How will I know when metered feature usage has passed the free tier limit?
You can check a site’s usage of an add-on by going to the settings page for that add-on. For example, you can find your Functions usage from the site dashboard, at Settings > Functions. We will also send notification emails when metered feature usage is approaching the limit of your current plan, and when it triggers an upgrade.
When will I receive notifications about my usage?
Netlify sends notification emails when you start using a metered feature, as you approach plan limits, when your usage triggers an upgrade, and when your account is charged at the end of the billing cycle. Here’s an example:
- You add a form to your site, and receive your first form submission. Netlify sends a notification email that the site is now on the Forms Free plan, which includes 100 form submissions per month and 10MB of uploaded files per month.
- The site reaches 50 form submissions a week later. Netlify sends a notification that form submissions are at 50% of the Form Free submissions limit.
- The site reaches 75 form submissions a few days later. Netlify sends a notification that form submissions are now at 75% of the Forms Free submissions limit.
- The site reaches 100 form submissions halfway through the first month. This triggers an upgrade to Forms Pro, increasing the allowance to 1000 submissions and 1GB of uploads. Netlify will send you a notification, but your card will not be charged until the end of the billing cycle.
- Your site has a sudden spike in traffic and reaches 750 submissions a few days later. Netlify sends a notification that form submissions are now at 75% of the Forms Pro limit.
- The traffic spike continues and reaches 1000 submissions the next day. Netlify adds an extra usage package to the site, which adds 500 submissions and 500MB of uploads to your monthly allowance. Netlify sends an email confirming this purchase, but you won’t be charged yet.
- At the end of the billing period, your card is charged for Forms Pro, plus one extra usage package. Netlify will email a receipt.
- The following month, the site continues on the Forms Pro plan. Netlify sends the first usage notification email when the site reaches 750 form submissions or 1GB of file uploads.
Can I set a limit on my usage?
There is no way to set limits on metered feature usage, aside from not using a feature at all.
How can I make sure I never get charged?
The Netlify core workflow is included for free with every site. If you start using an add-on with a metered feature, we will send you notifications based on your usage, as described above. If you reach this point and want to avoid being charged, you can change your site code to remove the functionality from your site. Remember that a sudden spike in usage may cause your site to pass the free tier limit before you have a chance to change your site.
My site usage went over the limit because of spammers!
We recommend taking measures to help prevent abuse of your site add-ons. For example, form submission spam can be reduced by adding Netlify’s explicit CAPTCHA and honeypot field. To help prevent bot registrations for your Identity add-on, you can require email confirmation for new users.
What happens if I don’t enter my credit card?
You can get started with Netlify add-ons for free without a credit card, including the features with metered pricing. When you start using a metered feature, Netlify’s notification emails will include a prompt to add a card to your account. If you reach the end of the billing period and still don’t have a card on file, your account will be escalated into non-payment mode, triggering notification messages and further attempts to charge your account. See the documentation on overdue accounts for more information.
What if I’ve been charged the wrong amount?
If you find a problem with your billing, please contact our support team and we’ll do our best to make it right!
Can I get a free trial?
Most paid features are already available on the free tier. For features that require an upgrade to Pro, like a custom outgoing email address for Identity, you can upgrade the site plan to test the feature, then downgrade when you’ve finished testing. Charges are prorated, so you’ll only pay for the days you were on the plan.
Why do I have to pay for features that used to be free?
Functions, Forms, and Identity all still have a free tier which meets the needs of most sites. Before the recent pricing change, Functions and Identity were released under beta tags, and Forms gained a beta tag when we began adding new features, like Functions integration. If you were an early adopter of Forms before the beta period, you should have received an email about how your plan is affected. If you have further questions, please contact our support team.
How can I know if Netlify will start charging for a free service in the future?
As a growing company, we may find we need to change pricing to best match customer needs with company goals. Though we can’t make promises about what the future will bring, we fundamentally believe that the JAMstack is a better way to build web projects, and we want to make it simple and free for developers everywhere to try it. That’s why our metered features have a free tier. For a general guideline, you can expect that any feature marked as “beta” will usually see pricing changes on release.
Notice something is incorrect or outdated?
First off, great eye! We appreciate your discovery and want to ensure it gets addressed immediately. Please let us know here.