Open Source Plan Policy
Netlify loves open source! To show our commitment, we’ve created an Open Source plan to enable projects working on open-source-licensed software to host websites containing information directly related to the community around that software. Our Open Source plan has the same features and limits as our Pro plan, with the addition of free unlimited team members.
To qualify for the Open Source plan, a project must adhere to the following criteria:
- Includes a license listed on the Open Source Initiative approved license list or a Creative Commons license that includes “attribution” or places the work in the public domain.
- Features a Code of Conduct at the top level directory of the project repository or prominently in the documentation (with a link in the navigation, footer, or homepage).
- Must feature a link to our service on your main page. You have two options:
- We have premade badges for your convenience, or
- You may create your own link, which should read “This site is powered by Netlify”, and include a link back to our home page.
- Must not be a commercial project, whether created by a company or an individual. This prohibition includes commercial support and hosting services.
If you feel your project meets the terms of this policy, please fill out this form for our review.
Sites qualifying for the Open Source plan might include content such as documentation, change histories, issue trackers, blogs by the development team, and similar auxiliary information. The Open Source plan is intended for projects that welcome open collaboration and reuse of their software and potentially their associated content.
Good examples of projects with the type of site we are targeting are:
The Open Source plan is subject to Section 6 (“Free Usage Tier”) of the Netlify Self-Serve Subscription Agreement. In the event that we discover sites that do not appear to be about open-source-licensed software and/or do not have a link to Netlify, we will inform the site owner of the observed mismatch. If no response is received, we will downgrade the plan after providing notice.