Netlify Announces the Better Next.js Runtime for Developers
New Next.js Runtime environment by Netlify offers a superior experience for Next.js developers, giving more control to rewrite HTML and transform Next.js content at the edge
Some of the largest Next.js projects are already run on Netlify, including TripActions and UW Health. Netlify has built a reputation as the best place to run production Next.js apps. The platform provides a native Next.js development experience, typically offers day-one support for all Next.js features and now, uniquely extends the capabilities of Next.js to give developers even more controls when using the framework.
Netlify is committed to driving Next.js forward with the expertise of its dedicated frameworks engineering team that regularly contributes upstream to framework open source projects, including Next.js.
“Netlify has actively invested in Next.js for years, but today marks a shift from natively supporting Next.js, to also extending what’s possible with the framework. With the investments made by our ecosystem team to enable more capabilities for developers, we’ve dramatically simplified and made it easier to do more with Next.js on Netlify than anywhere else,” said Matt Biilmann, co-founder and CEO of Netlify.
Next.js Advanced Middleware gives developers more control than ever
Together, the new Next.js Runtime and Next.js Advanced Middleware enhance the developer experience for Next.js on Netlify, which includes the following capabilities:
- Full control to modify request headers and entire responses on the fly: Supports HTML rewrites and page data transforms right from the edge, making it much easier to deliver custom user experiences such as personalization, localization, authentication, and more while achieving optimal performance.
- Zero configuration for Next.js: Netlify auto-detects Next.js and preconfigures the build environment, form-fitting the platform to the Next.js framework.
- Day-one feature support: New Next.js features are typically natively enabled, tested and supported on the Netlify platform the day they launch from the Next.js open source team.
- Enhanced UX: Next.js developers have a seamless user experience across the build and deploy workflow for their sites and apps.
Customers additionally get access to Netlify’s platform features such as deploy previews with on-page feedback and quality assurance, synchronized to Git and issue tracking systems. Additional abilities include access to advanced continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD); serverless functions, edge functions, background functions, and scheduled functions (cron jobs); a unique GraphQL-powered API mesh for easily connecting data and services; advanced observability integrations; multi-cloud edge network with 99.99% uptime SLA; enterprise-ready security; and 24×7×365 support with escalation paths.
Next.js Runtime by Netlify is available today to developers on all plans, for all versions of Next.js. Next.js Advanced Middleware is available for all Next.js developers running Next.js 12.2.x or higher. Learn more at netlify.com/with/nextjs/.
Connect with Netlify
- Learn about Netlify
- Netlify newsroom
- Netlify blog
- Follow Netlify on Twitter
- Join the Netlify developer community
- Contact sales
Netlify is the platform your developers love for building highly-performant and dynamic websites, e-commerce stores and web apps. By uniting an extensive ecosystem of technologies, services and APIs into one workflow, Netlify unlocks new levels of team productivity, while saving time and money.
As pioneers of the Jamstack movement, Netlify brings together all modern web frameworks, serverless functions and edge computing into one platform to deliver unmatched user experiences. Millions of developers and businesses build with Netlify, from Fortune 500 companies like Unilever and Verizon to companies changing our digital experiences like Peloton and Twilio. Get started for free at netlify.com.
# # #